Historic Castle Block Apartments
The Historic Castle Block building in downtown Ashtabula on Center Street now hosts newly renovated apartments. This project headed by Castle Block Properties LLC (an affiliate of Renew Partners LLC) is part of their initiative to take on the development and reuse of historic buildings throughout Ashtabula, Lake, Cuyahoga, and Geauga counties.
Historically, the Castle Block was built by a dry goods merchant who was a founding director of the Farmers National Bank and the PY&A Railroad named Henry Lawton Morrison in 1898. Also a mayor for 4 terms, Morrison occupied various buildings on Main Avenue before building the Castle Block plaza which he named after his wife, Nancy Pamela Castle. This building has been managed by Morrison heirs until it was sold to be renewed through this project.
First and Second story apartments are available in 1-bedroom, 2-bedrooms, and studios layouts. Rent for these spaces ranges from $750 to $1,300 per month with water and sewer included. These new apartments feature stainless steel appliances, granite countertops in kitchens, washer and dryers in 1 and 2 bedroom units as well as a community laundry area for studio tenants. Apartments are outfitted with energy-efficient windows and energy-efficient HVAC and lighting systems. There is elevator access to the second floor as well as secure, well-lit, gated parking for tenants.